PLANNING YOUR STAY
IN UVITA, COSTA RICA
After flying into San Jose (SJO Airport), you will need to arrange a ride to Uvita (4 hour drive). A list of transportation services is given below.
- There is a direct bus from Uvita Tracopa Terminal to the Airport (10 USD), however there is no bus option from the Airport to Uvita.
- See photo below for schedule from Tracopa Bus Terminal (August, 2021)
- Please note that although buses are available throughout Costa Rica, they are usually not reliable regarding expected arrival/departure times.
- Please DO NOT use the bus to get to/from the TMY Center during the retreat, as you will likely arrive late for class due to bus delays (it may be best to find an accommodation close enough to the TMY Center where you can bike to/from the center to save on costs).
- The following website has photos of bus schedules posted at the bus station: https://centrocoasting.com/costarica/uvita/
- There is a bus stop in front of Tracopa Bus Terminal for buses to and from Dominical and San Isidro.
- If you are a woman traveling alone for the first time internationally, we recommend that you book a group ride or private car to ensure safety while traveling (not the pubic bus).
SHARED & PRIVATE SHUTTLE COMPANIES:
- Monkey Ride: https://www.monkeyridecr.com/
- Easy Ride: https://www.easyridecostarica.com/
- Domiloco Tours And Transportation: WhatsApp 506 86153339
- Tico Rides Costa Rica: Luis Araya: +506 8827-7227
- [email protected]
- Luis also takes and delivers orders from San José
- GoodwinTravelCR: +506 6064 7580
- [email protected]
- Private family owned rental and tour agency - based in San Isidro & delivers anywhere in Costa Rica.
- Uvita Moving: Shuttle to Airport and Panama Border Run RESERVACIÓN AL WHATSAPP +506 6075 5706
CABS & DRIVERS:
- A drive between the Center of Uvita (or as far as Casa Nativos) to TMY Center will cost 2000 or 3000 colones, depending on the driver.
- Osa Waves Taxi Service (This is the taxi service we use) - Contact Grieven (+50685011295)
- Recommendations from other TMY students:
- Oscar Espinoza: +506 8951 7412
- José Taxi: +506 8531 6240
- Jean Carlos: +506 8973 4582
- Lusbin +506 8576 7606
- Asdrubal +506 8674 7708
- Alex: +506 8989 2298
CAR PURCHASES & RENTALS:
- You are allowed to drive legally in Costa Rica with your home country’s driver’s license for three months (in our experience there is very little enforcement regarding the three month rule).
- If you choose to rent a car, we highly recommend getting a 4X4. The Costa Ballena highway is nicely paved, but some restaurants and hotels are located high up in the mountains on curved, unpaved roads. Roads to beaches are also not paved. You can rent a car at SJO airport or in Uvita. When you rent a car, please note that there can be many hidden fees. For example, there is mandatory car insurance in Costa Rica.
- Adobe Rent A Car: Adobe is a local company, completely transparent in their fees, and has great customer service.
- If you are planning to stay for 1 year or longer in Costa Rica, we recommend hiring a broker to help find a good deal on a used 4x4 vehicle.
GETTING TO THE TMY YOGA SHALA:
- Take 64 Constanera Highway to Jardines Del Morete Road (you will see a sign that says “Vista Ballena Hotel” at the road entrance.
- Follow the road until you get to this intersection (if you are driving, please park to the side of the road at this intersection):
- From there, continue to the right up the steep mountain. On your left side you will see a wooden gate with green pillars. That is the gate Entrance to the TMY Center. Please do not use the Luxury Villa Estates entrance, as this is private residential property shared by six owners.
ACCOMMODATIONS & DAILY TRANSPORT:
We recommend booking into a hotel close to the TMY Center for convenience. For recommended accommodations, see below for a list of Uvita Hotel Options. There are also a number of Airbnbs available (some on the same road as the TMY Center). There are five other villas within the same complex as the TMY Center as well to rent (search for Luxury Villa Rentals).
You can arrange a taxi if needed to take you to/from the TMY Center each day. A taxi ride from the center of Uvita to the TMY Center is usually around $7-10. We recommend using Osa Waves Taxi Services.
UVITA HOTEL OPTIONS:
Each hotel listed varies in price, amenities, cleanliness, etc. Please select a hotel that best suits your preferences and needs. You are also welcome to choose an accommodation not listed. You can find other hotel and airbnb options not listed below via Internet search.
TMY Center Address: Luxury Villas, Jardines del Morete, Uvita
HIGH QUALITY HOTELS:
- Vista Ballena (This hotel offers a 15% discount off the regular room rate for our students. If you’d like to book in and receive this discount please write to [email protected]. This hotel is walking distance to the TMY Center). http://vistaballenahotel.com/
- Oxygen Jungle Villas http://www.oxygenjunglevillas.com/
- La Cusinga Lodge https://www.lacusingalodge.com/
LOW QUALITY HOTELS:
- Tucan Hotel (5 minute drive from venue) https://www.tucanhotel.com
- Suenos De Maria https://www.facebook.com/cabinassuenosdemaria/
- Hotel Nido del Halcón https://www.facebook.com/hotelnidodelhalcon/
Click To Download a Printable Version