WAY OF THE WARRIOR
Cultivate your Vajra Mind & Buddha Body
March 3rd -12th, 2023 | Costa Rica 2022
Way of the Warrior
Warriorship is not fighting or learning to fight. Warriorship is not martial arts training or sport-fight training. Warriorship is not philosophizing about the true nature of reality and one’s Essence-Nature while imagining oneself to be a “warrior.”
Warriorship is an ethos, a way of life that cultivates one’s Spirit. It’s daily training in an unbroken moment-to-moment fashion of impeccability and humility, loyalty and service-mind that ultimately leads the practitioner to Buddhahood.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Authentic Warrior Training, which is hard to find these days, utilizes all three doorways to Essence – the human body, its energy, and the mind, seeking unification of these three human capacities pervaded by an overarching Awareness.
This is accomplished via:
1) Physical training sessions in classic martial arts:
- STAV – Ancient System of Scandinavian Weapons, Breath, Mind & Spirit Training
- Learn how to attack and defend with long staff, walking stick & knife
- Use weapons training to teach proper awareness, distance and timing.
- Gong Fu – A system developed by the “Lady Wu Mei” (Lady Plumflower) who was the 3rd highest ranking warrior in all of China during her time.
- Learn how to defend and attack via short-range striking and trapping, and producing power strike without the need for large movements.
- Catch-As-Catch-Can Wrestling – A western system of combat grappling (the grandfather of modern submission grappling)
- This art teaches us how to control the closest range of combat. Training in Catch teaches surrender, creativity, and pries open the mind to a greater range of awareness,
- There will be many A-Ha moments during training. In summation, Catch Wrestling teaches us how to “Learn to Learn” as my coach used to repeat each day.
2) Energy Training sessions:
- Wu Mei Qi Gong – Breathing & Energy Channel exercises similar to the yogic practices of Mahākumbhaka/Gtummo and kriyā yoga, except they are performed standing and integrated into your martial techniques.
- Rune Stance-Breathing – The Scandinavian Breath Practice that combines slow movements and chanting for gaining focused control of one’s energy and mind.
3) Mind Training sessions:
- Concentration Exercises – These classic mental concentration exercises relax the mind into a natural concentration of one-pointed absorption in the object of concentration.
- Tranquil Abiding – Entering thoughtless meditation states for equanimity and peace.
- Non-Conceptual Meditation – Practicing the art of “Non-Meditation Meditation,” which yields the open and free state of being of pure spontaneous responsive action…so critical to warriorship and a life of integrated realization.
4) Studying the Principles of Warriorship:
- A concise set of powerful principles that lend guidance in each and every moment of your life in order to maximize your experience of unbroken awareness, self-centeredness, unassailability of your inner state, and spontaneous response to each and every situation as an embodiment of the core virtue display of Warriorship…
- Loyalty (Warrior Love)
- Guardianship (Service and Compassion)
- Commitment (Resolve)
- Tracklessness (Acting without leaving a karmic imprint)
TRAINING HALL AND NATURE
We will make use of two training “venues” – The TMY Yoga Shala and the abundant, beautiful and fecund local nature spots – waterfalls and beaches.
WHO CAN ATTEND ?
Warriorship is an inner Spirit training that utilizes both outer/physical and inner/mental-energetic techniques to become integrated with the “Way of the Warrior” – a way of maximizing the human potential. It is one of the 5 Ways or Paths of Practice available through Trika Mahāsiddha Yoga.
It is not only for those who have an obvious nādī (fate) in Warriorship (such as the military, police, fire fighters, and martial artists), but also for any person wishing to explore the unification of Body, Energy and Mind through a classical path that has more of an edge to it via increased intensity and focusing on the body as the central vehicle of the path.
The training is open to women and men of any age as long as your body is not severely injured or debilitated preventing engagement with the physical exercises.
ABOUT THE TEACHER
Dharma Bodhi (Kol Martens) began practicing yoga at age seven, and in his teens moved into practices of Chan Buddhism and Daoism. He then went on to study non-dual Śaivite yoga and completed Ācārya training in 1996 under his non-dual Śaiva Guru with an emphasis in Kundalinī Hatha Yoga. Since that time he has been studying and practicing Tibetan Dzogchen meditation and yoga. Settled in Costa Rica, Dharma Bodhi and his wife, Sahaja Dakinī, dedicate their time to raising their family, personal practice and teaching the Oral-Practice Tradition of the Mahāsiddhas to small groups of students.
We recommend taking Preliminaries of TMY online prior to this training, as it will provide you with a introduction to the TMY View and essential understanding of the language that will be used during the course. (Optional)
9am – 12pm: Practice
2pm - 5pm: Practice
*Off day(s) will be given if/when Dharma Bodhi senses the group needs it.
ACCOMMODATIONS & DAILY TRANSPORT
You will need to organize your own accommodation, transportation and meals during the retreat. Please check out these resources below to help plan your stay.
DATES & LOCATION
March 3rd-12th, 2023
TMY Center | Uvita, Costa Rica
Early Bird Rate (register before January 15th): $795
*meals, travel, & housing are not included.
CLICK TO READ OUR COVID TRAVEL POLICY
Way of the Warrior Retreat
MARCH 3-12, 2023 | COSTA RICA
Early Bird Rate (register before January 15th): $795
Submit the form below, and you will be directed to payment.
Full payment is needed to secure your place in the retreat.